NOW SEEKING FULL-TIME WISPA PRESIDENT
WIRELESS INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDERS ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT POSITION DESCRIPTION
Position Title: President
Reports To: WISPA Board of Directors
FLSA Status: Exempt
Employment: Full time
Apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 14th,2017.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the President is responsible for the overall management of the activities and long-term strategic direction of the Wireless Internet Service Providers Association (WISPA). The President is also responsible for coordinating WISPA’s operations and activities, overseeing the staff charged with planning and execution of WISPA’s two annual conferences, coordinating WISPA’s policy-advocacy activities and shaping the association’s long-term strategic agenda.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Business Plan Creation and Analysis: Analyze and interpret data, make comparable analyses, recommend options and courses of action in order to develop or track business plans. Identify short or long-range issues that must be addressed to achieve plan objectives.
Development Plans, Objectives and Strategies: Develop an overall revenue plan including core metrics and minimum standards of achievement. Identify short and long range problems that must be addressed, and develop objectives and strategies to ensure successful attainment of financial goals. Increase overall WISPA revenue by implementing these plans.
Recruit and develop volunteer leadership: Identify candidates for committee positions. Recruit volunteer candidates and articulate goals, outcomes and objectives for performance to enable candidates to make good decisions regarding achievement of WISPA goals.
Membership Presentations: Develop and present membership presentations to educate and promote WISPA goals and objectives. Serve as the lead staff on all significant membership events. Remain current on membership needs, market trends, and competitor actions to create reliable membership forecasts and to identify opportunities for membership development.
Staff Leadership: Build and maintain a team of “A” player staff. Hire, and oversee the supervision and training of all WISPA staff.
Executive Leadership: Responsible for policy execution and oversight of all WISPA matters. Establish strong relationships with executive, business, & industry leaders while contributing to the general management & direction of WISPA.
The President’s roles also include:
Interaction with the Board of Directors
- Develop 1, 3 and 5 year business plans for the organization to be approved by the Board
- Working with the Treasurer and Board to develop annual budgets
- Working with the Treasurer and outside contractors to prepare routine financial reports for presentation to the Board
- Prepare reports and materials for the monthly meeting of the Board
- Coordinate committee-level activities with the Chairmen of relevant WISPA committee
Overseeing WISPA Staff & Service Providers
- Overseeing all aspects of human resource management for WISPA’s [X] other employees, including but not limited to developing and revising position descriptions, hiring and termination, professional development and continuing education, recommending compensation, and conducting routine performance reviews.
- Approving budgeted expenses for payment outside of normal payment cycles
- Leading WISPA’s growth initiative and ensuring membership and revenue growth targets are achieved
- Oversee the tasking, performance and compensation of third-party service providers such as WISPA’s DC Counsel, Lobbyist, Technical Adviser, Advocacy Communications Adviser, Independent Accounting Firm (in conjunction with the relevant WISPA Committee Chairmen)
Interaction with WISPA Membership
- Represent WISPA before its members at the association’s annual conferences and other events
- Communicate WISPA’s vision and strategy to the membership
- Ensuring the timely development and publication of internal-facing newsletters and other communications
- Recruit and cultivate volunteer leaders to serve the association in appropriate capacities
Interaction with Outside Groups
- Represent WISPA before the media and at public events and conferences as appropriate
- Represent WISPA before legislators, regulators and other policymakers, alone and/or in conjunction with WISPA’s professional advisers and other leadership as appropriate for the circumstances
- Liaison with other industry groups and associations
Key Skills, Experience and Educational
- The President must possess sufficient skills, knowledge and qualities to successfully lead the organization as outlined above. Experience in the telecommunications sector is preferred, with particular emphasis on the wireless ISP industry.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.
- Knowledge of or experience in the wireless industry, FCC or legislative experience, executive director/management experience is preferred.
- The preferred candidate will have substantial experience operating in an industry association environment. Experience in policy advocacy activities is highly preferred.
- Strong written and oral communications skills, as well as fluency with basic business software platforms, are required
The President must be able to travel to attend conferences, training and other events.